Antonios (Anthony) J. Pothoulakis, M.D., F.A.C.C.
Date of birth: October 31, 1960
Birth Place: Heraclion, Crete, Greece
Citizenship: US and Greek
Marrital Status: Married
Children: A Son
Medical Undergraduate Training-Greece
1978-1984: School of Medicine, National and Kapodistrian University, Athens, Greece (MD Degree)
Postgraduate Medical Training –United States
1990-1992: Internal Medicine, Wright State University Affiliated Hospitals, Dayton, Ohio, USA
1992-1995: General Cardiology, Medical College of Ohio (now: University of Toledo, College of Medicine), Toledo, Ohio, USA
1995-1996: Interventional Cardiology, Medical College of Ohio (now: University of Toledo, College of Medicine), Toledo, Ohio, USA
Pre-US Residency-United Kingdom and Greece
1985-1986: Internal Medicine, Naval Hospital of Athens, Greece
1986-1987: Pathology, Evangelismos General Hospital, Athens, Greece
1987-1988: Emergency Medicine ("A&E"), Birmingham Accident and Selly Oak Hospitals, Birmingham, UK
1988-1989: Internal Medicine, Countess of Chester Hospital, Chester, UK
1. Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine, 1992. Recertification, 2005
2. Cardiovascular Disease (General Cardiology), American Board of Internal Medicine, 1995. Recertification, 2005
3. Nuclear Cardiology, Certification Council for Nuclear Cardiology, 1996
4. Interventional Cardiology, American Board of Internal Medicine, 1999
5. Echocardiography, American Society of Echocardiography, testamur status, 2010
6. General Cardiology, by the Greek Board of Cardiology, 1997
1. 2014-Present: General and Preventive Cardiology, Gwinnett Clinic, Lawrenceville, GA USA
2. 2013-2014: General and Interventional Cardiology, St. Rita’s Medical Center, Lima, Ohio USA
3. 2010-2013: Chief of Interventional Cardiology, Iasis Clinic, Chania, Crete, Greece
4. 2006-2009: Chief of Cardiology, VA Clinic, Columbus, Ohio, USA
5. 2006-2009: Interventional Cardiology, St. Rita’s Medical Center, Lima, Ohio, USA
6. 2004-2011: Clinical Assistant Professor, Cardiology and Internal Medicine, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio, USA
7. 2003-2006: Interventional Cardiology, Chief of Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory, VA Hospital, and Echocardiographer at Miami Valley Hospital with Miami Valley Cardiology in Dayton, Ohio, USA
8. 1999-2003: General and Interventional Cardiology, Dayton Heart Center, Dayton, Ohio, USA
9. 1997-1999: General and Interventional Cardiology, Athens Medical Center, Athens, Greece
Diploma in Music Theory and Harmony, June 2013, "Nikos Skalkotas Conservatory," Athens, Greece
Non-Degree, Non-Medical Studies
1. Statistics, Mathematics, and Economics, University of Piraeus, Piraeus, Greece, 1985-1988
2. Mathematics, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio, 1991-1992
3. Political Economy, Wright State University, Dayton, Ohio, 2002-2003
4. Piano, 1973-1983, private lessons, Athens Greece, 1988-1989, Birmingham Conservatoire, Birmingham, UK, and 2010-2013 at Venizeleion Conservatory, Chania, Crete, Greece
Areas of Expertise
Interventional Cardiology-3,450 invasive/interventional procedures
Echocardiography-Including TEE, read 35,000 echocardiograms, performed 500+ TEE
Preventive Cardiology-Author of a Disease Awareness Book among Individuals with Central Obesity, see below
Books, Publications and Presentations
Abdobesity: The Belly Fat That Kills - Authors: AJ Pothoulakis and G Demosthenous.
B.Publications and Presentations
1. AJ Pothoulakis: Health Effects of Olive Oil, presentation in Olivebioteq 2011, Chania, Crete, Greece
2. Anstadt MP, Budharaju S, Wozniak CJ, Darner RJ, Prochaska LJ, Kerns SA, Gargac SM, Pothoulakis AJ: Diastolic Augmentation During Direct Mechanical Cardiac Actuation. Submitted to the 54th Annual ASAIO meeting, Jan 2008.
3. Wozniak CJ, Pothoulakis AJ, Gargac SM, Darner RJ, Anstadt MP: Velocity Vector Imaging Characterizes Systolic and Diastolic Augmentation of the Failing Heart During Non-Blood Contacting Ventricular Actuation. JACC 2007, Vol. 49(9), supp 1, 70A.
4. Wozniak CJ, Gargac SM, Pothoulakis AJ, Prochaska LJ, Darner RJ, Kerns S, Budharaju S, Anstadt MP: Non-blood contacting Mechanical Support of the Pediatric Failing Heart. Presented at the Third International Conference on Pediatric Mechanical Circulatory Support Systems and Pediatric Cardiopulmonary Perfusion Annual Meeting, Hershey, PA, May 2007.
5. Wozniak CJ, Pothoulakis AJ, Gargac SM, Darner RJ, and Anstadt MP: Utility of Velocity Vector Imaging in the Assessment of Cardiac Function in the Normal and Failing Heart. Presented at the 18th Annual Scientific Sessions of the American Society of Echocardiography, Seattle, WA, June 2007.
6. Wozniak CJ, Pothoulakis AJ, Gargac SM, Darner RJ, Anstadt MP. Echocardiographic Assessment of Direct Mechanical Ventricular Actuation. ASAIO 2007, Vol. 53(2), 40A.
7. Bah CM, Prochaska LJ, Pothoulakis AJ, Wozniak CJ, Gargac SM, Budharaju S, Darner RJ, Kerns S, Anstadt MP: Non-blood Contacting Cardiac Actuation Attenuates Right Ventricular Proapoptotic Signaling in the Acutely Failing Heart. Presented at the AATS/Cleveland Clinic Kaufman Symposium of 21st Century Treatment of Heart Failure, October 2007.
8. Adesanya O., Osman M., Pothoulakis AJ, et al: Medical Management of non-revascularizable Coronary Artery Disease. Poster Presentation, American College of Cardiology, March 2006
9. Grubb BP, Kosinski D, Mouhaffel A, Pothoulakis AJ: The use of Methylphenidate in the treatment of Refractory Neuro-Cardiogenic Syncope. PACE, 1996; 19:836-40
10. Pothoulakis AJ, Neerukonda SK, Ansel G, et al: Ancrod for Coronary Angioplasty. Texas Heart Journal, 1995; 22:342-6
11. Grubb BP, Kosinski D, Pothoulakis AJ: New and Emerging Indications for Head-Upright Tilt Table testing. Eur. Journal of Cardiac Pacing and Electrophysiology, 1995; 109-112
12. Grubb BP, Kosinski D, Samoil D, Pothoulakis AJ: Post Partum Syncope. PACE, 1995; 18:1028-31
13. Grubb BP, Kosinski D, Pothoulakis AJ: Neuro-Cardiogenic Syncope in Athletes. Current Concepts and Management. Journal of Musculoskeletal Medicine. Nov. 1995:37-44
C. Radio Show on Preventive Cardiology
2010-2013- Hosting a weekly radio program in Chania (99.5 FM) on preventive cardiology and the metabolic syndrome